Sunday, May 31, 2015

Cathy & the Cookbooks

It's been a busy and stressful month so I haven't been able to concentrate and try any new recipes.  That is about to change.

To look back over the past month, I must explain my absence.  Burnie was diagnosed with diabetes and was hospitalized.  While all that was going on, I had a preplanned trip which I was reluctant to cancel because my travel companion had just witnessed her little dog's being mauled and killed by a neighbor's German shepherd (which was immediately put down by its owner).  We spent a week traveling the Hallowed Ground from Gettysburg to Orange, Virginia.  More about that another day.

Anyway, I'm back.  Tonight I made baked chicken thighs and roasted fingerling potatoes from Mr. Sunday's Saturday Night Chicken by Lorraine Wallace and baked chicken thighs (my own creation) .  It was really easy.

3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 lbs. small and medium fingerling potatoes unpeeled
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
1 teaspoon coarse salt

In a heavy skilled over medium high heat, warm the oil.  Add the potatoes to the skillet and toss or stir to coat with the oil.  Reduce the heat and cook, shaking the skillet occasionally to cook the potatoes evenly for 25 minutes.  Add the garlic, rosemary, thyme and salt, cover and cook until tender, about 10 minutes more.

That's all there is to it.  Finally potatoes that I like.  I've always felt that unless you were baking a potato, it was more work than it was worth.

It was delicious and I want to add that the rosemary and thyme came from my little container garden.  I harvested them myself.

So that I could get a serving of a vegetable, I added a romaine lettuce and cherry tomato salad with a little zesty Italian dressing.

And, of course, what dinner would be complete without a glass of wine.  Tonight I had Koenig Riesling from Alsace, also delicious.

I do think that I may need some new dishes, they don't photograph well and don't give the meal justice.  Either that or I'm a terrible photographer.  It must be the dishes, couldn't possibly be me.

No comments: