Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Baseball

A few weeks ago I wrote about the baseball themed pool party in my community and the fact that our table won as the most original table.

Last night we got to use our prize - tickets to the local minor league team.  This team is part of the Philadelphia Phillies' organization and the team they played is part of the Washington Nationals' organization.

It has been almost 30 years since I attended a baseball game, that was at Shea Stadium in NYC.  I've often gone to see games, starting when I was quite young.  Very often in the summer, my parents, my brother and I would walk to the local baseball field, Dexter Park in Woodhaven, to see the Bushwicks play.  When I was in my early teens, my father took to many games at Yankee Stadium in the Bronx.  I even got to see the last game played at Ebbets Field before the Dodgers moved to LA. 

I was a big Yankee fan, mainly because of the players - Mickey Mantle, Billy Martin, Yogi Berra and Phil Rizzuto, and also because I had to be different from my friends who were Dodger fans.

But, back to last night's game.  It was a beautiful night, perfect for baseball.  The field is fairly new, and nothing like Yankee Stadium.  Even though I really haven't followed baseball for a few years, it all came back.  So did several foul balls, and I ducked a lot.  Fortunately, none of them came close to me.

The game started out badly, the home team made an error resulting in a run.  Things quieted down and it was a better game.  The home team won by a score of 4 to 2, although they almost lost it in the 9th inning when the pitcher walked the first two batters.  But they survived the inning.  All's well that ends well.

I enjoyed the evening very much and am glad I went even though I wasn't looking forward to it.

No comments: