Thursday, March 21, 2013

SPRING?

All this talk about its being spring brought back some memories.  When my son was about 3 or 4, he heard on the radio or TV that spring had begun.  It was a year very similar to this one.

He was convinced that since it was spring, he should stop wearing his winter clothes and begged me to get out his "spring" clothes.  He was very fussy about his appearance and wouldn't budge - he wanted his spring clothes.  I remembered my mother's solution to a stubborn child so I gave in.  The house was warm enough for short sleeves, so I really didn't see the harm.

After a day or two, he relented and went back to the long sleeve shirts and comfort.

My mother's solution?  When my brother was about 3 years old, all he wanted to eat was Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup - for every meal.   She gave in to him.  He had that soup for breakfast, lunch and supper for two days.  At last, he asked if he could please have something besides chicken noodle soup.  Problem solved.

One of the things to remember when dealing with children is to pick your battles.  As long as what they are pushing for won't hurt them and doesn't contradict your core beliefs, why not let them have what they want.  Put your foot down when they get really outlandish ideas.

1 comment:

Sue said...

Hi Cathy.....thanks for leaving a comment on my blog about the civil servants in NY.....I happen to attract these people for some reason...I was there over the holidays and I can not believe how miserable everyone looks...So different from life down her in Georgia....And I'm from Jersey so I know crazy people when I see them....And since my daughter moved back to the city she has had one 65 year old women jump from the 18th floor of her apartment building....she heard the thud. The guy who was pushed in front of the subway car was at her subway stop under her office building and the tourist who was recently raped in an alley off of 57th and Madison was at the corner of my grandaughter's school....I don't know why anyone would want to live there....I am not looking forward to my upcoming week....And your post about giving kids what they want until they are sick of it...My husband still does that at 63 years old....He drinks Gatorade until his Gout gets so bad he can't walk....and he refuses to listen to me so I just let him drink it.....