Thursday, September 27, 2012

Inflation

I've been hearing for quite a while that we are in an inflationary period and that we shoud be prepared for higher prices for food.  I must admit that my food bills have not gone up over the last two years.

I did notice, however, that I really am getting less and less for my money.  Last week I found a sale on chunk lite tuna packed in water, which I always buy.  The cost was 10 cans for $10.  That seemed reasonable, until I picked up a can.  It seemed smaller, then I looked more carefully.  The net weight used to be 6 oz and a fraction.  Now it's 5 oz.  Same price, smaller can.  A few months ago, I noticed that there was more water and less tuna in a can.

Today I was melting some chocolate wafers to mold into candy.  I didn't get as much as I usually do.  I wondered if I had done something wrong until I checked the bag.  In the past the  bag contained 14 oz.  Now it contains 12 oz.  The price is the same.

I wonder how many other products are being packaged in smaller containers that are made to look like the old size.  That's just dishonest.  I really hate being lied to. 

Whether we realize it or not, inflation is here.  Just check the groceries in your pantry.  You may be paying the same price you've always paid, but you're getting less for your money.

1 comment:

Sue said...

Hi Cathy......I thought I was going crazy....I bought a box of Frosted Flakes when the granddaughter visited...
and when I got it home it looked funny...I matched it up to another box of cereal I had and my gosh the height was the same and the width was the same.....the dept of the box was cut in half...I'm surprised it was even able to stand on it's own...luckily we have Publix down here in Georgia and every week they have a great selection of BOGO's....the best part is you don't need to buy two...if you buy just one it's half price...the savings are wonderful I hope they never stop.....plus prices down here are way cheaper then Jersey.....
Thanks also for stopping by the blog...I am so happy I have a bit of time to write again...Sue