Saturday, March 10, 2012

City vs. country

I'm a city girl.  Until about 12 years ago I lived in the city.  Then I decided to try country life.  I always thought it would be great to live in a house with a large yard surrounded by trees.  I even fantasized that if I ever won the lottery I'd buy a couple of acres and build a small cabin on the land and leave the rest untouched for all the animals.

After living on a 20 x 100 parcel of land, I was so happy when I moved to my small 3/4 acre part of the country.  I was thrilled with the trees and the deer who would wander through.  Even the chipmunks were so cute.  After I was there a few weeks, I realized what a city girl I was.  I really wanted to walk to the end of my property.  Every time I thought about that walk, I got very nervous.  Finally, my son came to visit and I got up the nerve to check out the rest of the property.  Of course, I asked him to come with me.  I didn't know what I would find, what kind of animals there might be.  We walked through the wooded area and lived to tell about it.

Here I am now in a semi-rural area.  Some of my neighbors who live near the wooded areas have seen some deer and the occasional wild turkey, but that's about it.  The other day, our community manager told me that she has seen a family of coyote around one of the ponds in our community.  This has made me somewhat uneasy even though I don't live near the ponds.

I never had any qualms about walking around Queens.  The only hesitation I ever had was when I would walk on the road through a local park.  Friends questioned the safety of such a walk through the park, but my answer was that I was more afraid of a rabid squirrel than any mugger.

I really like animals, but from a distance.  I guess the answer is that I like my animals in cages.  I'm such a city girl.

No comments: