Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Point of Manufacture

Recently some friends and I were discussing the recent Solyndra scam and GE's sending jobs to China. We decided that we would rather support our own economy and buy things made in America.

I went to Target the other day to buy some toys for a Toys for Tots collection being taken in the community. I checked out several toys, particularly my favorites like Matchbox Cars and Hot Wheels Cars. I put them back because they were all made either in China or Malaysia. Every toy I checked was made overseas. I finally settled on a set of Leggos which are made in Denmark.

Then I decided to get some children's books at Barnes & Noble. So many were manufactured in China. I did manage to find a few like the Clifford series, Winnie the Pooh and Snoopy. I hope the children who get these books will enjoy them as much as my sons and I enjoyed Clifford, the Big Red Dog and Winnie the Pooh and of course Snoopy.

Unfortunately, I wasn't as careful when buying two cookbooks to add to my collection. I bought a Kitchen Aid Baking Basics and a selection of Holiday appetizers, dinners and cookies. After I got them home, I checked and you guessed it. They were "Manufactured in China". Next time I'll be sure to check.

No comments: