Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Quotes & History

Today in 933, German King Henry I beat Maagyaren at the Battle of Riade and in 1560, there was a failed assault on the royal palace in Amboise France. I know these bits of trivia because a few months ago I subscribed to worldofquotes.com.

Every morning I receive a quote like today's, "It is to be remarked that a good many people are born curiously unfitted for the fate waiting for them on this earth". This was written by Joseph Conrad when he was writing on "Earth". Some of these quotes are thought provoking, some are silly. But, it is a nice way to start the day.

Recently, they started adding historical facts. Today, they had 406 facts starting in 493 when Theodorik the Great beat Odoaker of Italy and ending with 1999 when Pluto again became the outermost planet.

I don't always have the time to check all the events, actually I've never checked them, but I hope to some day.

2 comments:

Mary P ms/sss said...

This trivia is out of my range...I'm still looking for the PERIGEE, last nights brightest and largest moon. I'll try again tonight, 'tho it's still very overcast here in the West. I discovered that scientists do not accept the term "supermoon" as scientifically correct. It sure sounds right to me!
Mary P ms/sss

HMK said...

Maybe Conrad's quote prompted the widely used Meyer-Briggs Personality test.