Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Back when I was in St. Sylvester School in Brooklyn, we usually started each semester with a motto for the term. I don't remember most of them, but two stand out. One was, "We must abhor every sort of affectation" and the other was, "Pride goes before a fall".

Today I learned about pride. Yesterday, I was bragging that after 43 years, I still had a complete set of china, and that I have rarely broken any dishes and glasses. Today while I was washing some bowls, one larger one slipped and knocked two others onto the stove, breaking them.

I think from now on, I'll keep quiet about my good luck with household furnishings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember, "Procrastination is the thief of all time." I just can't help wonder, had you waited and not washed those dishes so soon, would you have avoided the crash? Mmm.
It's nice to have your son's blog so handy!
Happy New Year!