Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Christmas gift

He did it again.  My son, that is.  I don't know how he does it, but he always manages to give me the perfect Christmas present.

This year, in addition to a few others, he gave me the Fitbit.  For anyone who hasn't heard of it, it's a small, about 2" piece of magic that manages to keep track of the steps I take in the course of a day or the flights of stairs I climb or the miles I cover in my day.  It also tracks my sleep.  I'm proud to say that I usually sleep 8 hours a night and only wake up 4 or 5 times, giving me a sleep efficiency of between 92 and 96%.

This is perfect for a numbers person like me.  I love to see a record of my steps and the calories I burn either sleeping or during the day.  I'm still getting started, but yesterday I walked 10,000 steps and got a badge for my effort.  All of this is recorded on my computer even when I don't physically sync it.  All I have to do is be near and it is automatically synced.  It's spurring me on to do more walking, which is a good thing.

I had mentioned that I was going to get a treadmill so I could exercise at home, possibly in small increments rather than getting dressed and going to our clubhouse gym and working out for 45 minutes to an hour.  That's how he got the idea.

I'd really like to know how he got the ability to pick the perfect gift.  He certainly didn't get it from me.  I'd be lost without his list on Amazon's Wish List.

I was telling some friends about my new "toy" and how great it is to track my activity 24 hours a day.  They all thought it was a good idea.  One of them called me today and said that she's going to get one for herself.  It will be very helpful to her since she has sleep apnea and can get a better idea about her sleep.  She also takes a lot of trips and has often wondered just how much walking she does on those tours.

Thanks again Bill.  That's quite a talent you have.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a daughter and son who both give perfect gifts. I am terrible at gift giving so they did not get it from me.linda