Monday, June 27, 2011

First Harvest

Every spring I plant herbs, especially basil, on my patio. Every year it's the same thing. The plant doesn't look full enough and I don't want to completely cut it back. I wait a week or so for more leaves.

When I finally decide it seems full enough for me to cut some leaves, I look and see that it has started to go to seed and blossom. No basil for that year.

This year, I had a lot of plants in one pot and they were doing quite well. It started to look as if the blossoms might be starting. On Friday, I went out and cut quite a few stems. I really didn't feel like cooking, so I decided to make some pesto. I harvested enough basil for two cups of pesto which I froze.

Now, when I feel like my favorite, shrimp and basil pasta, I just have to reach into the freezer. Speaking of the freezer, I wonder how basil ice cream would taste.

I also have a lot of oregano and mint out there. The strawberries haven't been too productive this year, but the sage is doing quite well.

1 comment:

Mary P ms/sss said...

I do admire you gardeners. As for myself, I just go to Trader Joe's and purchase one of their basil plants, full, lush, healthy looking and flavorful. In the winter, I make sure that I have a fresh jar of dried basil. It's truly very good...if you watch the exp. date on the label.
ms/sss Mary P