Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Happy Independence Day.

I remember many Independence Day celebrations, but one that sticks out in my mind is July 4, 1976.  That was the bicentennial and my boys were 5 and almost 2.  Everyone had fireworks and when the sun went down, there was quite a show a few blocks away.

We might have had a block party that year, I'm not sure.  What I do remember is that one of our neighbors found a way to teach the children  the real meaning of the day.  When the sun went down, she brought out a birthday cake with sparklers and written on the cake was, "Happy Birthday America".  It really brought home the meaning for the celebration for the children and was a good reminder for us adults.  Thank you Maureen for reminding us what it's all about.

So, now I'll say it - Happy Birthday America!

No comments: