Thursday, January 4, 2018

Snow Day

We had a little snow today, about 12 inches.  It really is very pretty and I think it will be around for a while.

The snow and the idea of being housebound for a few days brought out the cook in me.  The first thing I did was get a box of bread mix for my bread machine.  I always use a mix, yeast and I don't get along.  It never rises for me.

Then I got a pork chop out of the freezer.  I  bought a package of them from Costco about three months ago.  They are wonderful, so thick and juicy.  While there I saw a package of cubed butternut squash which I have been wanting to roast.

Then I got out my cookbook and found a recipe for a squash bake.  It looked easy enough and surprisingly I had all the necessary ingredients on hand.  I decided it would make a good side dish.

Whenever I try a new recipe, I have to have a glass of wine with my dinner.  This way, if the new dish is a disaster, at least I have something good with my dinner.  Tonight though, I didn't have my wine.  Leading up to Christmas I had lost 25 pounds and found one since Christmas.  I found that when I drink wine, my weight is up the next day and I'm trying to lose that one pound and several more.  Fortunately, my squash bake was delicious and I didn't need my wine.

It was a wonderful dinner.  Everything worked out well and I didn't even miss my wine.  The water was just fine.

I enjoyed my day.  I even sorted through the recipes I took from magazines in hopes of making them someday.  I made a list of planned dishes and a shopping list for the ingredients I don't have on hand.

I just love snowy days.

No comments: