Saturday, April 7, 2018

How Does Gibbs Do It?

Any long time fan of NCIS knows that Gibbs, aka Mark Harmon, builds boats in his basement.  Well, today I did the equivalent.

I recently purchased a new patio set - loveseat, coffee table, two chairs.  Of course, like almost everything you  buy these days, some assembly was required.  The weather here has been very unpredictable and I couldn't leave the boxes outside, so I had them put in the kitchen.  I now have two very big boxes sitting in the kitchen.

This morning I decided to put the chairs together.  Before I could do that, I had to open the box, that was a struggle.  I don't know what kind of glue they used, but it really held tight.  When I finally got to the pieces, I decided that I could do this.  After all I have put bookcases, bar stools and my desk chair together.  I didn't want to use my coffee table hold the pieces together since it has a glass top.  I decided it would be a very good idea to assemble the chair in my bedroom, using the bed as a table.  Nothing could get scratched or broken if I rested the arm of the chair on it while assembling the seat.

I moved everything into the bedroom and the assembly went smoothly, maybe too smoothly.  It was time to put it outside.

To my surprise, even though this house is designed for a senior citizen, the doorways are not unusually wide.  I couldn't get the chair through, no matter how I angled it.  I think, if there was not a wall there, it probably would have fit, but I'm not ready to knock down a wall.

Back to the bed to remove all the screws and bolts.  Even after I took one of the arms off, it still didn't fit.  Back to the bed to remove the other arm.  Finally, I was able to get it through the doorway with two pieces connected.

I gathered all the hardware and pieces and went out onto the patio.  I must add that I live on the corner and it gets windy and the temperature today was 41 degrees.

Fortunately, since this was the second time I was assembling the chair, I knew what to do.  It was a little hard since I had nowhere to sit, but I DID IT!  The chair is now fully assembled, but it's too cold to work on the other one.

So, now I still have two large boxes sitting in the kitchen waiting to be assembled.  I know I can do it, but I may get help with the loveseat since the box weighs about 70 lbs. and I don't know how I could maneuver the box to even open it.  But I will wait until it warms up a bit, I wouldn't ask anyone to work in the cold.

I guess when Gibbs wants to move the boat, he disassembles it and puts it together at water's edge.

No comments: