Friday, February 23, 2018

Here's a Little Good News

Radio, TV and newspapers have been full of bad news lately, but now it's time for something a little lighter.

Recently I wrote about having to euthanize my cat, Burnie, of about 16 years.  He was one half of the team of Crash and Burn. My friends, some of whom took care of them whenever I travelled, have asked how Crash was doing.

I'm happy to report that she is doing well, maybe a bit too well.  I swear, if she could dance, she would be doing a "happy dance".  I have made a few changes to make her feel a little better.  I discovered that she does not like to eat alone, so I bring her dish into the living room so she has some company while she eats.  While I'm preparing her food, she runs laps around the island until I produce her food dish.

After she eats, she has me trained to refill her water dish.  She meows and I get up and give her fresh water.  She doesn't like to drink water that has been in her dish for more than one hour.

A few months ago, I discovered that she was not ignoring me, she couldn't hear me.  I could whisper that it was snack time, Burnie, as sick as he was, would pick up his ears and wander into the kitchen while she would just sit there until she saw the food.  Because she's deaf, if she can't find me, she will howl.  After she woke me up two nights, I now keep her in the bedroom with me, with the door closed so she will see me during the night and won't disturb my sleep.  That is something I can't tolerate.

When Burnie was alive, she would meow so I would let her into the spare bedroom and close the door.  She would stay there, sleeping, until she got hungry or had to use her litter box.  Now, she is spending more time with me, sleeping and resting her head on my leg.

So, yes, Crash is doing well.  About as well as a 17 year old, hyper-thyroid, deaf  cat can do.  And I'm glad.  She is a good companion and very good at training her (dare I say) owner.

No comments: