Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Storm That Wasn't

All day Saturday and Sunday the radio and TV kept warning us about a nor'easter that was going to hit the New York Metropolitan area. You would have thought there would be a blizzard to rival the blizzard of 1898. When I woke up on Monday morning, I expected to be snowed in. Instead, the streets were slightly wet and there was no sign of snow. So much for the big storm.

Last night, before I went to bed I looked out the window and was pleasantly surprised to see that it was snowing. There wasn't much, just a dusting on the lawn. Again, today it snowed. Not much, it didn't stick except in the garden areas. The strange thing about these recent snows is that I didn't hear anything about it on the radio or TV. There were no "snow warnings" or "winter advisories". I guess the networks didn't want to predict snow and be wrong again.

I guess the science of meteorology still has a few bugs to work out. Maybe then they can predict snow on the right day. They're predicting another "event" for this weekend. Wonder what that will be - snow, rain, sun, heat wave?

No comments: